Monday, July 14, 2008

So Long, Hello Again

It's been real lovely not blogging, I must say a break from time to time certainly is a good thing, like a mini vacation, but without actually going anywhere.
Thanks to the neighbors generous white peach tree branch, I've currently picked and blanched enough peaches for 4 batches of jam. The first two I made as a double batch and got 6.5 jars of White Peach Jam w/ Lavender, and honey instead of sugar. The first .5 jar is empty and wow, it was a soft textured jam, sweet and creamy, with just the loveliest hint of lavender on the taste buds. I would normally have used my own lavender, but I had recently picked up some real nice cuttings from our local Trader Joe's and the aroma really carried through. The husbeast, without trying it, has already declared yuck on the prospect of lavender in jam, so all the more for me and my lady friends. There are still a few more peaches to make but they shall be either hand pies, or the husbeasts grammies peach pie. Yum.
The knitting is on hiatus while the summer months wear on, but soon things shall be made.
On the hat class scene, Lynn McMasters, gave a rather informational hat class on making wire frame hats at Lacis this Saturday. I enjoyed myself and the company of the other ladies while working away on my little Victorian Bonnet. It has yet to be finished as I've been hand stitching 1/4" straw braid to the little frame. Her examples were really wonderful and inspiring, but the teaching a little unprepared, which was actually quite all right by me. But now I must admit I want the other pattern from the class on how to construct wire frame Edwardian hats, think really big brimmed.
Speaking of holidays, the husbeast and I are debating where we should take our first vacation in pretty much 2 years. The possibilities are endless, there's the AZ/NM desert, Zion/Bryce Canyon, Virginia (family), WA/Canada. The choices are just so wonderful, and who knows we'll probably only have 2 weeks. Oh where to go, what to do. We'll see.
Ta for now, and eventually I'll have picts of the adorable swap that made it to my door, you'll see just how cute the little Jenny Julep doll is. Then one day I must post about the little hats still sitting in my house, currently in the closet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say...you peach lavender jam is literally making me salivate just IMAGINING it. How lovely it sounds! You are a jam genius!

I also wanted to yell you, my wonderful little skelly topper will be hitting the stage...as part of my costume for the Columbia Alternacirque's "We're All Mad" Vaudeville performance! I am lucky enough to be part of the cast for this and i am utterly THRILLED that i have a good reason to don my fantastic hat for yet another wonderful adventure! The director specifically requested that i incorporate it in my costuming :) I'll do my best o get lots of photos of the costume and the show so you can see what kind of shenanigans that hat is getting up to!

Get that etsy shop up, lady...you have admirers out here!

xoxo

Rima Staines said...

Hello Christa... I just stumbled here from the bottom of your email...
and those are fabulous hats :)
I have just added you to the "maybe one day" section of my once upon o'clock order list! :)