Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Betcha thought I forgot about ya, huh.

Nah, I've just been a slacker enjoying life, and the ensueing Spring.
Last week my first feecia bloomed, a cute little red one. And the rest of the Iris and Freecia I planted in the ground in October have popped through the ground, little blooms hang waiting for just that right amount of warmth and sun so they can perfume my little garden. My bff just emailed me stating that she's planting clover and chamomile seeds in her yard. Maybe I should do the same, but in the garden area where there is already a bunch of crab grass threatening to take over the bed again. Hmmm, that's not a bad idea.
And I want poppies and cosmo's and lots of wild flowers all out front. In the back I want some vegetables and herbs. Tomatoes, sage, dill, beets, beans, zucchini, squash, carrots!, and garlic to boot. Ahhh the lovely lovely spring planting. It's coming. Today it's sunny, but raining also, so strange.
Hope you're also getting in the mood for the lovely wild flowers and green grasses to start populating your homestead.
The drive up north along the coast was wonderful. As Californians, we really are lucky to have such a diverse and gorgeous range of coastline. I don't mean to make anyone jealous, but it really is breath taking, especially with the top down on the husbeasts little convertible. Even in the fog of Humboldt county it was really rad. Actually I prefer to see all the trees hidden in the fog. I got some really lovely shots I plan on showing just as soon as the husbeast will let me onto my computer again (he's been updating his webpage with all his vanagon photos, it's cute he's documenting how he's getting it running again ~new engine and all) But just let it be known, the yellow flowers seem to be the first wildflower to set to blossom in the hills on the coast. They were everywhere, just whole fields of yellow happiness spreading wide.
Our sorjourn took us from our home here in the East Bay, up to Point Reyes Station in Marin county, where the CowGirl Creamery is located. We grabbed some cheese and organic coffee, and fled farther north. The hills rolled by us, Hwy 1 twisted and turned. And the seats were thankfully heated! A couple of hours later after driving the little twisty 2 lane road looking down at the waves crashing on the coastline we arrived in Fort Bragg. The skunk train wasn't running, but we had us some beers at the North Coast Brewery there, and walked back to our B&B. Very cute little place, very midwestern also.
The next day we toodled over to Mendocino and checkout the shops there. The knitting shop in Mendo is wonderful. So many luxurious yarns, and good prices, but I bought a button (stitches is this weekend!). I also fought off the urge to buy a linoleum print from a local artist, it was a bit affordable, but I suppose a bit pricey also. After a bit we hopped in the car again and headed even further north.
This time we landed in Eureka, drove through to Arcata and subsequently didn't want to afford their intown hotel. So we headed back over to Eureka and settled into a Hotel that was rather reasonably priced. The next day we explored Arcata's downtown fell in love with tons of lovely furniture, and ended up purchasing a few Noran (Japanese room dividing curtains). I did buy some cheap sari silk yarn in a hippy shop, in white, periwinkle and a soft purple.
We headed out of town even farther north and ended up in Crescent City, a border town to Oregon. Having mistaken it for a cute town, we grabbed a quick bite and headed back down the coast. On our way up there though, the fog was at it's finest, whisping in and out of the trees playing hide and seek with the sun, and well impressing my camera lens to no length. Hwy 101 there also rides along the coast but also passes through some lovely Redwood groves. We saw elk, and lots and lots of Hawk, and a giant headless Babe the Big Blue Ox. Poor little blue ox, he looked like a middle eastern bride with a big blue tarp over where his face would be. You'll see.
Driving back from Crescent City, we stopped back in Eureka at the last Co-op in California, grabbed some 90,000 btu Cayanne pepper (it's realllllly hot cayanne from Africa) and finally found the cute area that is downtown Eureka. And off we were back home in 4 hours.
So that was my weekend. I got a little knitting done, but with the top down it was so lovely I just couldn't knit. I did get half a side done on the husbeasts God Save the Queen mohawk hat, but I could have strangled the designer. No seriously. First there was a mistake in the first part of the instructions, yeah yeah not her problem. Then I just couldn't believe the sheer # of balls of yarn that were hanging off of the work. And the cast on was way fiddely. But what ever. I switched to reading the charted pattern and swore a lot, and everything was gravy.
On happier knitting fronts though I casted on for another log cabing square for the FIL's blanket. So that makes the 4th. Ah slow but a really nice and simple knit.
That's it for now. Since the husbeast is off to the Sony Party in the cityt w/ his little brother tonight, ps ladies he's single and really cute, and makes quite a bit of money, and looking to settle down, ahhhem. So what I was getting at is I'll have lots of free computing time, and I'll post a butt load of picts for ya'll to see.
Cheers till then. Wow, not a spelling error to speak of! Shock.

No comments: