Monday, February 25, 2008

Ya got me in Stitches!

No really, rolling... okay maybe not really, but Stitches West was a wonderful convention, that my lady friends and I really indulged ourselves in. The vast number of booths was overwhelming to say the least. And I fell in love with one booth in particular, the Ribbon, button, and Trim shop from Rhode Island. To describe the booth, imagine with me if you will, shelves sectioned by color filled with little jars of buttons, old wooden spools of trim and ribbon, lace encased in glass charms, and bins everywhere categorized by color. It was heaven, a very expensive heaven. I got some delightful trims and a few cute little buttons, 2 called frogs eyes, and 2 Victorian embossed flowers on a black background.
I also picked up some lovely mohair/wool in my favorite color of blue. Now what to make with 400 yds? I believe it's sport weight. Don't ask me where it come from all I know is that the women had strong southern accents and the company started with a B. Helpful aren't I.
But the biggest and best thing that I did, I purchased some roving. I know, actually roving to be spun up into something delightful. It was from "A verb for Keeping Warm" a newer shop, but the gal is local, and she uses natural elements to dye her yarns, a major bonus in my book. I picked up 4 oz. of Alpaca, 4 oz. of Bluefaced Leister, 2 oz. BFL, and 2 oz. of Polworth (nice long staples in that one!). And to boot the husbeast fixed the broken leather piece in my wheel last night, and commenced to pointing out that indeed the wheel was warped from some particular event in his parents garage, it involved water. Also pointing out that the center wooden piece, some part of the axle, was broken and a new one should be ordered, but perfectly fixable. And the bobbin just needs a decent spacer to keep it from falling off of it's holder. So a few issues but nothing really major, and everything he can fix (except the wonky wheel). It'll work, and I'll try my best at spinning, and if that doesn't work for me, I'll utilize those lovely fibers and make myself some felt that can be shaped into some cloche like hats.
All in all a fabulous weekend. Especially when I discovered that my Narcissus had bloomed while I wasn't looking. And especially since I hadn't even realized my mum had given me narcissus in all those bulbs she gave me. I'm just stoked I actually planted them in time for their blooms to shower my garden this spring.
Happy knitting, I'm currently on the 6th log cabin block.
And yes I realize I said I would show picts of the lovely courty side when we went up North, but they just look like vacation picts, and well I was bored when trying to put them on the blog, go figure, I'll put something lovely up soon. Maybe a sneak peak at the lovely roving's I stashed in a drawer in my living room. And to the husbeast, sorry I lied when I said, 'a craft room, now I won't have to do projects in the living room.' Yes, shameful they're everywhere. But at least I'm keeping my hands busy

No comments: