Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm a nut I'm a nut I'm a nut nut nut nut!

I must say that one of the better parts of the impending Winter is baking, and the smells that tend to intoxicate the kitchen when doing as much. This weekend I made fruitcake. I know the dreaded Christmas cake... but honestly the husbeast and I really love fruitcake. His granmum used to make one that was reported to barely make it out of the wrapper. Well since I didn't have her recipe on hand I went to the next best alternative and used one in a book from the Cheeseboard Collective, it's a quirky little shop over in Berkeley, and their recipes always turn out scrumptious. All the little nibbles I had of the batter, and the little bits out of the pan from when I was wrapping the cakes proved to be a successful endeavor. They currently sit in a dark little cabinet keeping one another company while they age and get even better.
Unfortunately I did not get around to making my favorite raspberry jam, I will I will, but I did get around to starting the young man's mini topper last night. And I must tell you that it's just coming along rather quickly. I already have the top and the brim and I devised a proper way to get the hat to have vertical stripes unlike mine with it's horizontals. Boy was I ever a ninny before for not figuring that one out. It's just the easiest of peasy things, you know, measure twice~watch a little Johnny Depp as Edward Sciccorhands~cut, sew. I really don't know why I didn't measure out the appropriate lengths before and just pin out a seam. It really is more simple than I was doing. You know all these little different techniques that I am coming up with really are making the process easier, and more intuitive. I look back to my poor little first ones with their layers of glue and varnish and just cringe. They really aren't as lovely as the present ones are turning out. Which makes me wonder just how the next five after these ones will be and so forth and so on. But I am babbling and rambling.
Tonight I should fix the boning on my looooovely dress. It's so cute I really do adore it. And the entire outfit works. If only I could find shoes that are just as wonderful... even though I know I should wear some small heals I believe I'm just going to go and get a new pair of the Keen Mary Jane's but in a rusted red color ~ they're a rather warm brown actually.
Annnnd well that's it.

I wonder if I've given Cinderelly enough clues to know that the East Bania my profile offers as my home is not in the south of CA, but really just prime in the middle... are we in the middle? Or is that Santa Barabara, no I believe we are. Ok, I give up! I'm in the SF Bay Area. Yeah I know it's a great place, gorgeous weather, nice enough people, and realllly expensive life styles that no one can really afford, including me. There you have it, I'm Oaklandish. Yes that's an East Banian term, and yes we did start hella, and yes I hella love Oakland. And no, I'm not in Oakland, just close enough. I did grow up on an island in the middle of the bay though. Yeah for being a military brat and growing up on Treasure Island.

Oh I nearly forgot to tell of the dumbest of dumb things that the husbeast and I really didn't conspire, but we did almost let slip by. Last week when Dickens Christmas Faire opened up, we went, had a great time, and we picked up a couple of hand made leather masks. These are by Mitch Walker of Peekaboo masks, and so not easy to choose just which one, well finally after about an hour and a half the husbeast and I both finally decide on the ones that work best for us, we pay and we go home. Well this last week the husbeast tells me that his new card is being declined, ie it's not set up yet, and then I relate to him that's the card used for the masks. Llllong story short, ends up that the husbest used an old defunct card and the poor mask maker (someone I see every year at these events) never got his oodles of money. And yes it was a good deal of money. Thankfully the husbeast found his web site last night and emailed him pronto, and this morning while we were carpooling (yes we are that cute) a rather grateful Mr. Walker called my cell phone and we were able to give him a proper payment over the phone. But eeeh ghads we nearly got off scott free from paying for those lovelies, and we didn't even have his phone #, or he ours until we emailed him of our mistake.
So that's my good duty, honesty is the best policy ctory for the week,
now go out there and do something good for yourself and others, Cheers.

1 comment:

cindy said...

ha, ha! i DID figure it out! (i'm very slow!) i used to live in rodeo!