Thursday, April 19, 2007

A week full of oddities

I won't speak of the travesty in Virginia, that's been covered by the media enough.
Moving on, it's been a week of oddities in the fun I've had at night. At home of all places.
It's nice to be able to do things like plant succulents, or make an intricate dinner, but to do these things night after night, how fun.
So last night, I decided on a few interesting recipes for the Boy's Mediecal potlock (yes how cute is his new work). Decided on making "green" cheese, which is just fresh cheese. It was rather easy, just 2 quarts of milk, simmered to 195 f, take off the fire and add 1/4 c vinegar, strain thru a cheese cloth, let sit for an hour (yeah not 2) and add cream until you get a texture you like, add salt, and we added pepper. Wrapped it back in the cheese cloth, and left in the fridge over night. Tres semple. And to think the boys have a wonderful basement and we could make our own cheese all the time, I admit I am a bit intrigued by this idea. Really I could make my own cheddar, or brie, or what eva. The possibilities are endless.
Nextly we also made a port marinated tri tip with loads of organic garlic from our friends farm in Oregon, and lemme tell ya a little somethin' here, oh my, I was flabbergasted at just how tasty this meat was. The boy was BBQ'ing that while I simmered the milk for the cheese.
Lastly last night, we also made Dyshcefull of Snowe, which is Strawberries in Snowe. Did I mention these were drunken berries in an orange water whipped cream, again, pure heaven.
And tres semple once more. Take strawberries, 2 pints, I used 4 and altered the recipe as I felt like it. A cup (or 3 plus a little port) of red wine, add some sugar 1/2 c. or to taste, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Marinate the berries for about an hour, top with a whipped cream of sorts using a pint of heavy cream, some sugar to taste, and 8 egg whites. Whip together until stiff then if you dare, add some orange blossom water. The orange water should have been rose water, but I could only find the orange (still delightful and delicate) beat in the flavor, and top the berries in the snowe. Consume and melt into your lovers arms. *evidently I have a deficiency when it comes to shoveling berries into the boys mouth~sorry doll, I'll try harder or you can just feed yourself next time.*
So you can see it has been a bit eventful, but even then, the night before, I made stuffed acorn squash. Yes for the first time. And I stuffed them and some peppers with the left over game hens and stuffing and beets. Again it was rather yummy.
Tonight you ask, well don't. It's the Beer Bitch meetup, so I generally only get to eat late and crap foodies, or just plain crap foodies. Unless the boy surprises me and makes dinner. Oh dear if you're reading this.....
I believe last time I wrote I was still working on Mo's mitts, well those are finally off the needles, and Dice, the cutest hobbetess, is no longer going into the desert, so I don't yet need to make her mitts. So, on the needles tonight I suppose will be finishing off the first sleeve and heading onto the other. Gosh I'm nearly finished!
After the sweater sleeves, well I don't know. Ah perhaps I will work on the log cabin blanket. I really should try and draw up a schematic of this thing, as a guide, otherwise I can procrastinate all I like. I admit it's been a bit quiet here lately in the knitting realm, but that's cool. Not all life is knitting, just a bunch of it.
I should have saved this pict of the boy for any sort of blackmail situation, but it's been a bit dry around here lately pict wise, so here ya go, enjoy. And yes the ginormous whiskers are gone now, and the summer goatee is here, woohooo!

cheers.

No comments: