Thursday, May 24, 2007

That was rather strange

So last night, was very odd. As I've mentioned we kind of live in the wild. There's turkeys, and wild pigs, deer and raccoons (during the day), plethora of wild cats, and foxes. All these animals even though there's a major state university just up the hill from us, and a bustling ghetto down the hill from us. All this said it's a quiet neighborhood filled with empty and abandoned state owned houses. There's only 2 neighbors on the court and everyone is pretty rad.
What I'm getting at is that last night as I was going into one of our back rooms, with the lights still off. The roommate's dog was sniffing at something that I thought was apart of my Renaissance Faire costume, I saw fur. I turned on the light and was confused, at first. Before me lay a tiny wire hair creature I totally thought was a rat, it was all balled up and had a rat's tail. After further exploration I finally realized it was a baby opossum. The strangest of things. It must have wandered in through one of the open windows, lord knows when and the dog was rolling it around.
I thought the poor bugger was dead, but I saw an eyeball looking at me. So I had the roommate run and get me a towel from the kitchen, and I scooped him up. After roaming around the living room looking for some shoes, I took him outside and placed him in the old neighbors yard.
Unfortunately I forgot to look for him this morning, so I really hope the little buggers alright. He was small enough to fit in the pal of my hands.
I held a baby opossum in my hands, how totally prosh is that. He popped his head up once while in my hands and was all, what's going on!
I still can't believe it. The husbeast he believes he may have come in the night before and was in the kitchen late at night, scurrying around. Seriously too cute though. I wish there had been a picture taken so you could see his little nosicle, and all those little teeth. ;)

1 comment:

lizzieb said...

Ya know...I just never did seem to figure out it's name...just a block up from Discount Fabrics on San Pablo near Ashby. Now they are at 47th and Telegraph...without a name up yet so I still don't realy know what it is called...I just know how to get there!
Liz