Wednesday, October 31, 2007

This is Halloween, This is Halloween!!!!

Halloween!
Halloween!

And tonight, muhhhauha we dine out. And we avoid the candy grubby children who's parents only clue these poor creatures in on the insignificant aspects to the season, dressing in plastic costumery! Magh, plastic makes me melt, do you see me here, I'm melting! from all the plastics, and ill costumery.
I've come to speak of the lastest hat, yes the one I could not, and frankly would not speak of lest it's new owner catch on to what I was up to. Sadly I have no decent picts as they are still in the body of the nice camera, and we still have no working cable at the home. Sooo instead I shall point you over to Amanda Button, where you can oogle and ogle this cute as a Button Mad Madame d' Le Strange!
Go ahead, take a minute. I'll wait while you go and check out her new digs.

Back so soon, are you, well wasn't it fabulous. And rather adorable how well she took to the little creepy and insanely delightful mini topper. A better home I cound not ask for than the wonderful Amanda. And she was so patient even though it was late for the very improtant date. (I swear they are the perfect All Hallow's Eve accoutrement. )

The story of the hat actually dates back to last year's 30th Birthday bash that was held for our old roomy. Living up on top of the deserted hill, having all but one set of neighbors (weirdo's!), and a plethora of beer loving free-loading friends (up to 150 people stopped in!). We decked the halls in blackened gauze, and made an archway to the foodie table where the likes of jellied hands, and brain foods toppled the table. The coup de gras being the bleeding heart in actual molded shape filled with a blood red oozy bag that subsequently found its way onto Jesse the Ventura aka a bodybuilder, and then onto the floors, the walls, outside, and many an unsuspecting guest! Oh the horror. Since then I have been banned from making anything that involves red food coloring :( But fear not I am ok with that for now.

So the moral of this story is that because I wanted to be the Green Fairy (ala Absinthe) I needed an appropriate mini top hat. And During the same time, good ol' Lady Linoleum had just made one!, and gasp to my horror out of crochet. Ah poo. I despise crocheting, I just have better things to do with my time, no offense to my loverly crotcheting fiends! But it's true. So since I would be constructing a 3 foot tongue that sat inside of the fireplace on it's rack, out of paper mache, paint and a bunch of shicken waer (yes punny!) I decided that I should apply some of my textile construction knowledge to making said tiny green mini topper.
If you will imagine with me know, out came the scissors, some fabulous green gauze (bye old curtain) some small gauge wire, and the only thing I could entertain to keep it stiff enough to make it wearable, some glue and varnish. Go painting skills, go!
And off I was like a mad woman assembling this little tiny hat, learning the ins and outs of tiny hat construction. And enjoying every minute of the process, and remembering fondly my days in Art School.
When I had finished I had the cutest and wonkiest little thing I'd ever seen, but pyling my hair up and under it was rather satisfying. And born was a new hobby. And new craft, and something that is rather difficult to find in the real world.
Granted I've found these things at the Renn Faire, and also Dickens Faire, but of course that's by the same lady, and also her's are not hand made, they're made by a form and shipped to her from an outside source.
So all in all, I'm rather pleased that I've stumbled upon something that I can create, concoct and conceive (notice the new 3 c's of being a woman!) something of my own hand and craft.
Don't get me wrong fellow bloglandians, I still knit, and rather viciously lately as the winter comes to set upon us, I just don't have the picture capabilities to prove as much (unless you realllly like my phone picts). I've also come to appreciate the fact that I prefer to speak about an art that I can sculpt on my own, unlike telling the tales and woes of a knitted piece that I haven't even put the effort into the design of. It's like I'm being a copy cat, or a bad imitation to a good thing, where here and now I can tell the tales of MY latest creations. So please don't hate me for straying every here and there into a craft that you may not fancy, or grasp the concept of. Please be patient while I test these new waters of craft-dom, and know that I still knit, and I am still the rightful heir to the Gypsy Junk knits name. (shhshh I haven't been thinking drafting a new header that reads Gypsy Junk Handmaids shhshhh)
Ta and Happy Sam Haining or All Hallow's Eving, or Trick or Treating!

No comments: