Monday, January 7, 2008

Back in the Boat

Well it's certainly been awhile (notice the emphasis on the H for all you Family Guy types out there), I hadn't meant to be so quite but it really was for the best. I had Friday off and finally got a decent sleep because of it. So here I sit a bit snotty ~ nothing some nasal spray can't remedy~ but much more well put together.
The husbeast was a real peach and treated me to first some really yummy Indian on Friday then after doing nothing all day on Saturday, we got of the house on Sunday and went to see Sweeny Todd (ah swoon). I loved the movie, apart for all the gore, the costumes and dialogue and whole storyboard were amazing and well worth the price gouge at the box office. I do have a little bit to say though, there were 2 women that walked into the movie after it began w/ a little 5 or 6 year old girl. They sat in front of us, and well I didn't want to be rude and tell them they shouldn't have her in the theatre, I just couldn't but I know I should have. They eventually walked out after the first multiple blood letting, but really with a title of the Demon Barber of Fleet St. what really were these women thinking, gahds. Some people aren't all that brilliant. Oh and even though there was singing, the husbeast rather tolerated it, though he did mention that there could be more boobies to compensate.
On the knitting front I've done nothing. I need to fix the FIL's Hemlock Ring Blanket that somewhere went really awry. Christmas Eve Day I was binding off before we went over there and had plans to work on it whilst enjoying Christmas with them. And well firstly I ran out of yarn. Secondly it was one giant ruffle. Yes somewhere it turned into a ruffle as I bound off. I believe my stitches are too many. Must be some erroneous miscalculation in one of the rows I ripped back or such because it really is not justifiable. So that has been looming over my head at this time.
On the other front, the mini topper that was commissioned by the husbeasts HR lady, I've been putting that off also. For two reasons really. First I've really felt like poo and have wanted to do nothing but watch the boob tube. Secondly because I've been wondering if it's possible to sew the entire thing on my new sewing machine. And well there is another thing, I want to sew a proper edging onto the brim to finish it off. You know I'm going to go ask these things to my mentor, just one moment. Ah got the info I needed, but looks like I need to practice on some old hats before I attempt doing such on a commission where the fabric was given to me to use.
Before I leave you all today I just wanted to add that Beverages and More has some nice quality Absinthe in their shops now. The husbeast splurged and brought home a bottle of Lucid for New Years which we dragged over to my BFF's house and drank merrily. I might add that the concoction known as a Hemingway really isn't that great tasting. That's champagne with Absinthe. I much preferred the traditional way of serving the beverage. Where in you pour a shot into the glass, wine glasses work well, then take a slotted spoon (or in our case a fork) and place a sugar cube on top, using distilled water pour this over the sugar cube until dissolves or the glass is full. Stir, and enjoy. I find I like the licorice taste with the sweetness of the sugar. I believe I had about 3 almost 4 shots of Absinthe one and a half was paired with champagne and woke up almost all right in the head. I believe it was the champagne that really did me in. Oh and for any of you out there thinking it's bad and a hallucinogenic, well it isn't. The deal is that back at the turn of the century the wine industry in France was wiggin' out because the appearance of Absinthe had taken much of their business away, so a political campaign was established to make this elixir into the devil's fodder. There is a bit of truth to the stories, but the poisoning was happenstance from certain lesser companies that employed disreputable practices in creating the liquor, ie copper and lead based pots. Well the ban was recently lifted and the liquor is now watched by the FDA to make sure that the thujone is at an appropriate amount, and that the liquor is properly distilled. The distillation practice of making Absinthe is one of the most complex in the world for such a spirit, but the herbs all work to make such a harmonious blend of delicacies that it should be enjoyed on just that right special occasion.
Cheers and til then.

1 comment:

cindy said...

i am happy to hear that absinthe is available now, i have wanted to try it forever. we even looked online for it, but couldn't really afford 'the green fairy' at the prices they had!