Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where I Protest like a Princess

Hmmmh,
I want my yarn. I want it now. You may say jealous much, and I may say, YES!
I just read someone else got their yarn, from Knit Happens. I have yet to even received an email that it's on the way, unless it's been sent to my other email address...
Whateva. I just feel bad for my nice mailman, all that yarn. Poor fella'.
So I am super excited. Tonight is the drop spindle class over at Purlescence. Eeehhh! Yes, another birthday gift to myself. But I feel that continued education is a wonderful gift to one's self, no? Hence all 3 of the Vogue Stitionary books, and the Holiday Knits book. The yarn is merely for the practice.
Since leaving Art School, I feel this pull in me to keep the art alive, even if it is through a new medium for me. See I graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography. But as fate would have it, I don't have the heart for commercial photo work, so my abstractions are sitting on the side lines. My connections are getting stale and who knows if I'll ever be able to hang anything in a gallery again. This may be where the newer medium of fiber steps in. And where this medium can actually be more of a lucrative commodity than photography ever could be for me. In all honesty I am looking towards the future. I'm reflecting on my relationships and my work ethics, and turning 30! and wondering where I am to go from here. It's nice to nearly be an adult ;).
If I had a studio and unlimited funds, what would be prudent, photo or fiber. How about photo induced fiber. I've always had the desire to combine photography with other mediums, just the sheer stillness of a picture leaves me empty at times. (Or depending on the artist.) I think it has something to do with the readymade quality of most photographs today, what with the digital images and their in home readyness. Come on, every schmoe on the block can be a "photographer" now. I seem to be leaning towards the photographer as artist concept. (Yes my school was rather artist based, not commercial-which is hard to find in Eastbania.)
Some day I will show some of my works to anyone looking on here. Some of the slide collages printed on watercolor paper, or the cyanotypes. Oh how I love the cyanotypes, all that blue, it just drives me batty. Soon. But not yet. fiber and photo, photo and fiber............something will come to mind.
Cheers ladies and all others.

No comments: