Monday, September 17, 2007

Ahhh, just right

It's Monday, the scent of autumn does fill the air, seeping into my pores, begging me to let it take over. I love the autumn. Not that we have very many season's over here in EastBania, but still there is just that slight difference when it come around.
Yesterday was fabulous even better than Saturday. Both days I made my way out to the Nor Cal Ren Faire. Thank goodness for weekend passes, $35, is a great deal. I gnashed on gyro's both days and broke down on sun. and had a Sin on a Stick (frozen cheesecake dipped in chocolate and skewered. Couldn't quite finish it either.)
Many old faces were seen, and I did what I had set out to do. I made a female friend. Not quite as easy as one would think it to be, she was cool, and best definable as the pirate lass with the peg leg. (Yes a real one.) In past years I have set off and found a new boy or an old one to run off with and create havoc. Since I'm married now, it was time to switch things around a bit. Don't get me wrong I never cheated on my man, there were times when we were separated, or times when the romping was with a harmless friend. All in good sport for certain.
Saturday Faire was with the hippies, the crowd was large and rather overwhelming at times. The heat was a bit intense as well. As usual I used a woven scarf on my head whetted, this did famously, until about the second time I rung it out and my hands turned green. On the third wetting they were decidedly blue. I liked the contrast and it made me feel like an artist again. Quelle suprise!
Sunday although I was beat from all the rompings with the hippies I ventured back again with a few other hippies thrown in for good measure and this time my stitching lady friends and their respective families to boot. The going was slow, or perhaps better said to be at the pace of the snail. Some of us made 2 rounds to the faire, others got a few more than that in. I actually made it around about 3-4 times. But the best part was the hat. The night before I decided that I must make a hat or something. It was my gimmick, and it worked. I began a quick and easy tam that morning in the car, walked and knit on it for the better part of the day (when there wasn't drink or food in my hand) and finished it in the car on the ride home. I knit it out of Manos de Uruguay.
The Tam came out soooooooo soft I'm in love with it. Of course it's adorable but I feel it's a bit too big on the band. I want one that's tighter. I even went down a needle size. Go figure.
At faire there was finally a group of ladies selling roving and hand died yarns, so I snagged a skein in a multiple purple colorway, and love it. One of my lady friends indulged in the roving. Very nice.
I also broke down and indulged, majorly in some rather fancy pants. They're a bit like Harem pants but there is a band of elastic at the knee, and then a little more fabric, then a peacock lace edging with fringe that hangs to my mid-shin. Oh and they're a shiny striped periwinkle! Gorgeous. Now off with my tattered underskirt. The holes in that poor thing. I've never worn anything that tore so bad in a 24 hour period. Every time I would go to the lu, riiip, or walk, tearrr, ahh it was horrid.
I picked up a few skeleton beads, little guys that hang on to a string, and may be just the perfect accoutrement to a new hat...the frog and snail may have to be placed on hold until I can get the molding aspect of hats down. There was much inspiration at Faire this weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't inspired to spin yarn, or dye, or card. I was only inspired by the hat makers. What to do... I may just need to intern, volunteer, or work for one of the artisans at the next upcoming show. You know the one at Dickens. I believe she may be able to give me some insight. I admit I love hats. All hats, well of course some others better, but that's just preferential to style. Now onto felting!
Did I ever mention how lovely the Schaeffer Anne yarn is that I won from Spinnity? It's delightful and gorgeous, and earth tones and yummy sock weight. And the darn thing is just huge!
I totally have a pict from this weekend, but bloggers being a booger, so I will try again later.

No comments: