Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy Monday!

Ahhh, what a lovely and somewhat relaxing weekend. It rained, I saw one lightening strike, and now it's blue skies and much warmer. Just so strange the difference of 2 days makes here in East Bania.
I have 0 knitting content to speak of. The Hemlock blanket sits on hold, the Chevron Scarf sits around, and the Tam hat is waiting for me to create some sort of lace pattern in the color change. All horribly boring, needless to say.
So what I'm so happy over is the change in the season. The beauty of the season as the colors change, or the smells take on a new and effervescent tone. Autumn may very well be my most pleasant time of the season. Well that and Spring, both birth and renewal.
I'm also stoked over next weekend...it's another Faire trip, and this time we're camping. Thanks to the roommates quickness. There's nothing quite like camping at Faire, sneaking into the after parties even though we're outsiders. But really since I already know a few of the faire staff, and I've worked yeeearrs ago, and I constantly get confused for a participant does that make me an outsider? I don't think so.
And thirdly the most ecstatic reason for the season, well I was good/bored while waiting for the husbeasty to wake up Sat. (it was a very long wait) I began what is starting to look like my ideal Swampwood Sweatheart mini top hat. This one is a bit more mad hatter-esque.
You may remember my previous hats were all made with a glue, varnish base which was rather unreliable when trying to get everything taught. In lieu of the glue I headed for the needle and thread this time, and am rather stoked on the outcome. The process was far more clean, but a bit more lengthy. Which really isn't such an offset, as the piece looks much better than the others.
The fabric is black sheer, with embroidered flowers. This hat stands far taller with a wider top than any of the others. The construction was the same as all the others, but with a ton of pinning, and well, less fabric. I left the edges turned out and raw, but close to the seams. And for blocking I grabbed a can of starch. Boy what a difference. I did starch the middle band before sewing it to the top and brim, then restarched and blocked it last night. I blocked it a bit square! Well the two sides are square as the front and back remain a bit rounded.
I used a deep maroon silk ribbon as a band, layered with some black trim with little bits of pale pink. It's still a bit of a work in progress but I'm ahead of the game, for once. The coup de gras is what makes this hat sheer brilliance. I took one of the skeleton beads from faire, it's about an inch and a half tall and used a bunch of copper wire and beads and made a cradle for him. The cradle is a cross between a tree and a swing. This all is attached to a small piece of driftwood, and sewn to the hat. A couple of other skeleton cards sit on the other side of the brim. And well I'm still trying to create a few more things for it.
But oh my golly! I'm rather stoked over the whole affair, but am out of wire, so kinda bummed as I can't start another one yet. I have some red silk in line, just in case one looks better over the other in effect for the costuming. The idea for the red silk is flames and the devil.
So we were in a hurry out of the house this morning (yeah for carpooling) and the light was just perfect. I should have taken a pict, but well I'll try tonight.
You'll see.
I may just have to add millinery to my blog name ;^)
cheers and happy falling (get it autumn)! Gahd I kill me!
I know there's a PS to this blog entry, but I keep forgetting what it is......Zut!
I got it, it's a movie. I viewed this diddy on Friday whilst waiting for the septic guy to come and suck all our old poo away. It was the most fascinating and unforgettable, and brilliant and entertaining, and dream inspiring feat I've viewed in years, bar none. The MirrorMask, by Neil Gaiman, and Dave McKean (who's art I fell in love with back in art school). Also Jim Henson Company has helped in producing this. If you have a chance, do rent this. Oh also there are accordians! I love accordians. It's my favorite muscial instrument. I've even been toying with the idea of getting a concertina, and taking lessons.

No comments: